Back to Lessons of the Morning Star
1. At that hour, the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Who is great* in the Kingdom of heaven?"
2. And Jesus called to a child and stood him up between them.
3. And he said, "Amen, I am telling you, that if you do not go back and become like children, you shall not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
4. "Therefore, whoever becomes gentle like this child, he is the one who becomes great in the Kingdom of heaven.
5. "And whoever is accepting like a child, shall receive me.
6. "And whoever misleads one of these little ones who believes in me, deserves to have a donkey's mill hung on his head and be drowned at the bottom of the sea.
7. "Woe to the world* for the tribulations.
It is necessary for the tribulations to come.
Woe, to the man, however, by whose hand come the tribulations.
8. "If then your hand or foot leads you to commit an atrocity,
cut it off and cast it away from you.
For you are better off entering everlasting life a cripple,
rather than whole,
And not while having two hands or two feet
you may fall in the everlasting fire.*
9. "And if your eye makes you commit an atrocity,
cut it out and throw it away from you.
You are better off that you enter the everlasting life with one eye
and not while you have two eyes you may fall in hell fire.
10. "See to it that you do not corrupt* one of these little ones.
For I tell you their angels see the face of my Father in heaven at all times*.
11. "For the Son of Man came to bring back to life that which was lost*.
12. "How do you see it?
If a person has one hundred sheep,
and he loses one of them,
Will he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountain
and go searching for the one that is lost?
13. "And if he finds him*, amen, I am telling you,
he is happy in him more than the ninety-nine that were not lost.
14. "Thus, there is no desire before your Father in heaven
to lose a single one of these little ones.
15. "If your brother fools you, go and resolve it between yourselves,
if he listens, you have gained a brother.
16. "And if he does not listen to you, get one or two [people,]
so that every word is supported by two or three witnesses.
17. "If he does not listen to them also, tell the church.
If he does not listen to the church either,
you are dealing with a revenue collector and a pagan.*
18. "And, amen, I am telling you, that whatever you bind on earth,
will be bound in heaven,
And whatever you undo on earth,
will be undone in heaven.
19. "Again I am telling you, if two of you are in agreement on earth
regarding whatever you wish to ask,
It shall be given to you from my Father in heaven.
20. "For where two or three are gathered in my name,
I am there among them."
21. "Then Keepa [Peter] approached him and said to him, "How many times* if my brother fools me, should I forgive him? Seven times?"*
22. Jesus said to him,
"I am not telling you until seven,
except until seventy times seven seven.*
23. "Because of this the Kingdom of heaven is
...like the man who wished to receive an accounting from his servants.
24. "And as he began to receive them,
they brought him one who owed him a thousand talents.
25. "And as he did not have it to pay,
his master ordered that he be sold,
and his wife and children and everything that he had and pay up.
26. "And the servant fell down and worshipped him
"My lord, extend your grace* upon me,*
and I will pay you back everything.
27. "And that servant's master took pity upon him
and released him, and he forgave him his debt.
28. "However, that servant went out,
and found a fellow servant that owed him a hundred dinars
And he grabbed him and choked him and said to him,
'Give me what you owe me.'
29. "And his fellow [servant] fell at his feet, begging him and saying,
'Extend your grace* upon me and I will pay you back.'
30. "But he was not satisfied, except he went and threw him in prison,
until he paid him what he owed him.
31. "And as their fellow [servants] saw what* happened,
they became very displeased
And they came and informed their master
about everything that happened.
32. "Then his master called him and told him,
'O, wicked servant, I forgave you all that you owed, begging me,
33. " 'Was it not your duty to be merciful to your fellow [servant]
as I was merciful to you?'
34. "And his master was angered and delivered him to the deliverers
until he paid him back everything that he owed him.
35. "This is what my Father in heaven will do to you,
if a person does not forgive his brother his foolishness, from the heart.
Copyright 2008 Maiden of Light Holy Orthodox Temple